Friday, March 27, 2015

My day starts early for this post .3:39 am I have the cam on and don't see E6 in the nest. Awww big Fledgeling now. He is sleeping up on one of the branches with Harriet I'll bet. I hear E6 squeeing and then Harriet . Harriet vocals a few time then stops. E6 keeps squeeing .3:44 am more vocals from Harriet . E6 again. Of course I can not see on cam 2 right now. I understand the "intruder" ( which one I don't know ) was back again last night from reading HWF ( Hancock Wildlife Forum ) and Facebook. 3:49 am all is quiet for now.  Hmmm I wonder if the "intruder" is in the nest tree with them. I have to say , I  really don't like calling them "intruders" because they haven't caused Harriet  and E6 any harm. Intruders makes it sound oh so bad I guess you can say.   How ever I do realize that is the proper name to give them.  Any other Eagle or bird or mammal or us Humans as far as that goes that could  harm  them or intrudes in their nesting area and territory .  I have  heard Harriet sound of when Turkey Vultures fly past or Blue Herons. It doesn't have to be another Eagle. They just happen to fly too close for Harriet's comfort I guess.
So today before I go to the nest I wanted to tell you all what I have been.. In my opinion blessed to witness these past few day's. This is something that plays out everyday in the Eagle world that we never , ever get to see and if we did I'm sure we wouldn't have a clue of what was going on.
So with knowing the events that leads up to this, has made it easier to understand.
We have a very successful nest that has one mate missing for the time being.  Harriet has been vocalizing and I'm wondering if in those vocals... do the all the other  Eagles hear let's say for understanding..." Ozzie where the hell are you  and get home now ?"  What in the sound Harriet emits that they the Eagles understand that Ozzie is not there ? Or it is because now Harriet is searching their territory more than before looking for Ozzie that they see this and there is this understand,this knowledge from Her movements that they just know? Or is it also from the fact that it has only been Harriet chasing the unwelcomed away at first?  And Yes 2 of the males have been chasing the unwelcomed visitors from the nest area. Minnie Ozzie did until he left  and Publix did yesterday.  I don't think it's "disbursement "   time yet. Our season is from Oct 1 - until late April early May. We know Harriet is not looking for a new mate and Ozzie will be back before that time even arrives that she would go looking for another mate. Questions, questions.  So this has been a great learning time for me .Do I understand all of it? Not yet and may never understand, but I am  trying.
I do want to also say .. That Harriet is doing a GREAT job taking care of her and E6. She is doing what she has to do. She knows when she can bring in food and when she should wait. We have to remember, she knows and see's thing we do not. E6 is getting some very valuable life lessons in all of this. Food isn't always there when you squee. Protect your nest. And there are others out there that will try and take your food and hurt you.  So far NONE of the other Eagles have made any kind of attempt  to harm E6 in any way. As a matter of fact I found it very interesting that E6 "seemed " relaxed around the "other" . Harriet to a certain extent , she is ever watchful and does get annoyed with them after a period of time then will "flush " off  of whatever perch they are on and out of  the nesting area.
We have to remember .. Eagles will avoid serious confrontation at all cost.   It was told to me that an Eagle will bleed to death when cut. This.. I still can't find anything on it but I'm still looking.

I arrived at nest around 6:00 am. I tried to get some what I call "lets see who is here " photo's before it started to rain.  I  only got two before it started raining and all I could see was Harriet and E6 . I was not able to get any more. When Vickie showed up it had stopped raining and she saw the other one way up to the right of the nest tree. We didn't see Harriet leave the nest tree. Then a few minutes later I caught the sight of Harriet flying to the front pine tree so I thought . The "DirtyBird" as now it will be called, left the nest tree and went to the front trees , I think...lol "DirtyBird then flew back into the nest tree  and all of a sudden I hear Harriet coming from across the road after the DirtyBird and chased it out of the nest tree. I need more eyes for all this .LOL  The DirtyBird flew to the right pond tree. After about 10 mins E 6 flew to the left pond tree and mantled showing DirtyBird a thing or two and vocalizing .
  I'm very impressed with E6 . He/she sure is learning how to defend it's nest and nesting area  very well.  DirtyBird is just looking at E6 like  Really?!












3 yr old I call DirtyBird. This was the overnight unwelcomed guest last night.


After the two size each other up , Harriet takes off and is just vocalizing like she is going after the DirtyBird but in stead she flies past him and keeps going then the DirtyBird take off after Harriet but doesn't follow her to far as turns around and flies E 6 and almost knocks him of his branch. OMG , I just about had a heart attack.  DirtyBird then heads for the nest tree. E6 kept his balance and once he got straighten out he went to the nest tree and mantled when he landed on the attic branch. Again showing the other bird that he is fierce and my nest,my tree. Just amazing to watch!

Now I'm a little fuzzy on what happens next. I  think I took a little nap...LOL Just kidding. E6 did a fly about then landed on the R pond tree. E6 landings as I said before are awesome. E6 has done much better than our E4 did. I think E4 could have stayed with us a little longer. At least I wanted E4 to stay.:)    
                                                                                                                                             
   
TA-DAH !!!!
E6 went from the R pond tree and flushed out the Blue Heron that was sitting on the old cam 2 tree. LOL E6 sure was doing his lessons this morning while Mom was gone.
The Blue Heron see's E6 coming .


        
E6 played around on the OCT tree for a bit then took another flight back to the nest. All this time the DirtyBird has been gone so e6 had time to play. Then there was another fly about and this time  E6 landed on the snag tree closest to the big green tree . Now it's E6's glamor photoshoot ! I took so many photo's of our Beautiful E6 I'm going to have a hard time choosing just a few for here.                        

Isn't He/She a Beauty ?!!! 
   
   Done with E6's first photoshoot , E6 does some more flying around the nest area and lands on the R-pond tree again. The DirtyBird is back again and headed for the nest tree again and lands in the nest. Oh don't you just know E6 is NOT happy about this at all and takes off towards the nest tree. E6 flushes the DirtyBird out of "HIS" nest ! WTG E 6 !!! I just had to shout out  WOOHOO ! when  E6 did that . I'm still smiling . I have the photo's as an album on my photo page on Facebook. I can put the link here but you will have to copy and paste to view it. For some reason it won't show up like it should.
 https://www.facebook.com/deeagle55/photos/pcb.338327879693539/338327589693568/?type=1&theater

Ok now where was I ??? Oh yes ok ....lol So E6 runs the DirtyBird off the nest and in come another 3 yr old and chases D/B out of the nest area and as they are headed east past the church , D/B  gets behind the other one and  is chasing it off... What a morning! This is the other 3 yr old.
 So with that done , E6 decides it time to rest in the nest for a bit and for us to collect our thoughts and relax a bit too. So for about an 1/2 hr I think we all get to rest before E6 is up and flying again. This time E6 lands on the snag tree closest to us on the Church side . This also brings out the crows with bother E6 for a bit. E6 stays there for about 20 mins then flies over to the old cam 2 tree. From the old cam  2 tree E6 takes a trip over to the church tree. Stays there for a bit   Then here comes Publix the adult male that was here yesterday and the day before.  Come to find out , He was sitting with Harriet on one of the high poles over at Bob's house . Not on the same pole but the next one over . I thought maybe I should clarify that ..LOL... Bob said Harriet kept vocalizing and he wouldn't leave.  Well I guess he gave up and came to the R-pond tree . Well this didn't sit to well with E6 and off he goes to the R-pond tree too. Look at how close E6 flew in front of the Adult .



















Brave E6 ! Well Needless to say  Publix was not to happy about that and flew down close to E6. You could hear all the "OMG's and get away from him" . Nothing happened but scared the you know what out of Carla, Vicki , me  and E6 too.  Publix moved from the branch you see to the upper part of the one E6 is on.



I think this kind of spooked E6 and he flew back to the nest tree. Publix stayed in the R-pond tree and I had enough excitement for one day and I came home..
I am just amazed at all that is going on and the lessons E6 is learning and how fast .


No comments:

Post a Comment